- me: what are taxes and how do I pay them?
- school system: worry not
- school system: mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell
—I'll Make A Man Out Of You
I’ll Make A Man Out Of You | Mulan.
You must be swift as a coursing river, with all the force of a great typhoon. With all the strength of a raging fire, mysterious as the dark side of the moon.
*hears first .003 seconds of this song* *kicks down door* LET’S GET DOWN TO BUSINESS
- To mixed people who only look like one of their races
- To mixed people who look ‘ambiguous’ ‘exotic’ ‘unique’ and get both fetishized and treated badly for it
- To mixed people whose identities are ‘too confusing’
- To mixed people whose identities get ignored
- To mixed people whose identities are questioned
- To mixed people who are told ‘they aren’t really ___’
- To mixed people who have mixed hair and mixed skin and can’t find cosmetic care products for themselves
- To mixed people who are victims of multiple types of racism
- To mixed people who can’t fit in with the parts of their family
- To mixed people who only have connections to one of their races
- To mixed people who are too ‘___’ or not ‘___’ enough
- To mixed people who aren’t white, but can pass for white.
- To white mixed people who are white passing, and have to decide between having their identity erased or having to deal with more racism
- To white mixed people who aren’t white passing, and don’t get the choice.
- To white mixed people who aren’t white passing, but their siblings are
- To mixed people who have to deal with prejudice from their own family, white or not. (anti-blackness, fetishism, colorism)
- To transracial adopted mixed people who have never known any of their family
- To mixed people who have to figure out their identities by themselves
To mixed people who have to deal with so much shit. You are strong, you are beautiful, and you are valid.
For mixed people everywhere, stand in solidarity with each other. While we have similar experiences, not everyone has the same experience, or relationship with their race. Be aware of whatever privileges you have. Listen to others and always help one another.
As a 19-year-old sophomore at Stanford, Elizabeth Holmes decided to transform diagnostic medicine so she dropped out of college and used her tuition money to start her own company, Theranos. Ten years later, Holmes, pictured here holding a micro-vial, is on the cutting edge of medical technology — her new blood testing method allows hundreds of tests to be run using only a few drops of blood. And, Holmes’ methods are cheaper, faster, more accurate, and less invasive than conventional methods which often require a separate vial of blood for every test.
As Holmes told Wired.com earlier this year, “I started this company because I wanted to spend my life changing our health care system. When someone you love gets really sick, most of the time when you find out, it’s too late to be able to do something about it. It’s heartbreaking… We wanted to make actionable health information accessible to people everywhere at the time it matters most. That means two things: being able to detect conditions in time to do something about them and providing access to information that can empower people to improve their lives.”
read more from A Mighty Girl
Reasons you should adore Elizabeth Holmes:
- She is featured as Forbes’ youngest self-made woman billionaire.
- Her tests will revolutionize the public health world as we know it; Making diagnostic testing accessible and affordable for more people (and potentially saving Medicare and Medicaid ~$100 billion each over the next decade). (x)
- She is a coauthor on 82 US and 189 foreign patent applications. (x)
- Her fear of needles served as a motivator for launching Theranos. (x)
Tbh money would solve all of my problems right now like I could move out and pay for school and take care of my mental health and overall I would just be happy and in a better place so I get really annoyed when people are like “money can’t make you happy” uh you obviously never experienced financial instability and dependence so please shut the fuck up you pretentious shit.